We offer optional tours. In-country tours are optional and are not a set part of CHOICE expeditions. In some cases, the expedition leader may opt to plan and lead additional touring. Check with the Expeditions Coordinator to see if this is being planned for your expedition. In all other cases, CHOICE can offer suggestions of places to tour and agencies to use.
**Costs of in-country touring are NOT included in expedition costs.
Optional tours offered by CHOICE:
- Bolivia: Machu Picchu in Peru, usually before the expedition. Helps you acclimatize. You can also visit the Salt Flats.
- Guatemala: Expedition usually spends its last night in Antigua, a beautiful historic city. Further travel can then be arranged to hike Volcano Pacaya, visit Lake Atitlan or Tikal.
- Kenya: Safari. May be before or after the expedition—depends on the trip. Other options include visiting Lamu, a historic Muslim city, hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro, or fishing at Lake Victoria.
- Mexico: Guanajuato, an old Spanish Colonial silver mining town, usually after the expedition. Mexico City tour of the historic old town. Mexico City Taco Tour.
- Nepal: Trekking in the Himalayas, usually after the expedition. Tours in Pokhara. Tours can also be arranged for the National Royal Forest Wildlife Refuge in Chitwan (elephant rides), white water rafting, mountain biking, and flights to Mt. Everest.
- Peru: Machu Picchu Tour usually before the start of the expedition. Hiking of Hyang Picchu as well. Touring the ruins in Cusco.
- Ecuador: Galapagos Tour, Eco-tourism Tour in Banos, Quito Full-day Tour, Cotopaxi Full-day Tour