While we must continue to help the less advantaged by helping them focus on their economic and social needs, we have come to accept Mahatma Gandhi’s strong belief that development devoid of human values and principles of culture that motivate people to a higher standard of ethics and morality will seldom generate the social energy and the individual responsibility needed to implement a sustainable process of village community development.
List of Core Values Identified by Villagers
- Self Awareness
1. Creativity: Thinking of novel and productive ways to conceptualize and do things.
2. Fairness: seeks to treat people equally, fairly; not letting personal feelings bias decisions about others.
3. Tolerance: Accepting, collaborating, and compromising with people of other religions, ethnic groups, and castes.
4. Knowledgeable: Mastering new skills, topics, and bodies of knowledge, whether on one’s own or formally in school.
5. Wisdom: Being able to provide wise counsel to others; having new ways of looking at the world that make sense.
6. Courage: Not shrinking from threat, challenge, difficulty, or pain; acting on convictions even if unpopular.
7. Persistence: Finishing what one starts; persisting in the course of action in spite of obstacles, making things happen.
8. Integrity: Presenting oneself in a genuine way; honest in personal dealings, free of corruption and dishonesty
9. Vitality: Approaching life with excitement and energy; feeling alive and activated, focuses on getting things completed
10. Compassion: Doing service and good deeds for others.
11. Humility: Not regarding oneself as more special than one is. Letting one’s accomplishments speak for themselves
12. Self-Disciplined: Regulating what one feels and does; being disciplined; controlling one’s appetites and emotions.
13. Self-Actualizing: seeks excellence, quality and beauty in life, work, and community, encourages exceptional performance in various domains of life.
14. Hope: Expecting the best in the future and working to achieve it.
15. Spirituality: Having coherent beliefs about important higher purposes/values and making the world a better place.
16. Grateful: Being aware of and thankful for life, the good things that happen; taking time to express thanks to others.
17. Citizenship: seek interests of community over self, participates and supports the improvement of society for both men and women.
18. Loyalty: To spouse, family and friends, keeps promises, is dependable, steadfast and responsible.
19. Self Awareness: Aware of the motives and feelings of other people and oneself and how your behavior impacts on others.
20. Humor: Likes to laugh, bringing smiles to other people; emphasizes the lighter side of life, to enjoy the simple things in life.