Click here for additional information and our work in Peru
From colonial architecture to the Incan ruins of Machu Pichu, Peru is home to a diverse geography and population. Situated in the northern coastal region, Piura offers a tropical climate that extends to the mountainous Amazonian highlands to the Pacific Ocean.
DAY 1: Saturday, Oct 15 USA to Piura, Peru
- *participants must arrive at Capitan FAP Guillermo Concha Iberico International Airport in Piura by 5:00PM on DAY 1.
- Upon arrival, transportation will be provided to hotel for overnight accommodations in Piura (shared Double Rooms). Official expedition activities will begin this evening. Group dinner and orientation will be scheduled tonight for expedition participants to meet one another and discuss trip details with local CHOICE staff. Time to explore Piura if arriving early.
DAY 2: Sunday, Oct 16 Piura to Frias, Tambo Grande Region
- Breakfast served at hotel. Group transportation will be provided in the morning to the Tambo Grande region (4-hour distance). A brief stop will be provided and lunch will be served to the entire group. Participants will arrive to a gracious village in the late afternoon and be greeted with a warm welcome from native villagers. Time provided to unpack, rest, and meet local villagers. Dinner will be served in the evening. Overnight accommodations provided inside the village church and/or schoolhouse.
DAY 3: Monday, Oct 17 – DAY 6: Thursday, Oct 20 Frias Community
- Breakfast served in village. Development projects scheduled throughout the week (construction of various village- identified initiatives). Lunch will be served in the afternoons with a brief rest provided. Dinner will be served in the evenings. Village activities and interactions will be provided to promote powerful intercultural exchanges between participants and native villagers. Overnight accommodations provided inside the village church and/or schoolhouse.
DAY 7: Friday, Oct 21 Frias to Piura
- Breakfast served in village. Ceremonious village farewell scheduled in the morning. Group transportation will be provided back to Piura (4-hour distance). Upon arrival, participants will check-in to hotel for overnight accommodations (shared Double Rooms). Group dinner will be scheduled in the evening to discuss overall experiences.
DAY 8: Saturday, Oct 22 Piura to USA OR Cuzco (see Tour Package)
- Breakfast served at hotel. Time to enjoy Piura and explore at your leisure. Flight departure from Piura to USA at your convenience. For those traveling on to Cuzco, please contact CHOICE to coordinate flights.
$2195 per person (airfare not included) / $1995 per student (airfare not included)
*rates include hotel accommodations, certified group leaders, village lodging, village meals, and local transportation.
A significant portion of each expedition fee is utilized for rural village development: project costs, construction materials, leadership building, and other elements leading to high-impact sustainable development.
OPTIONAL - Cuzco + Machu Pichu October 22-25
With ancient Inca walls holding up colonial cathedrals surrounded by contemporary restaurants, Cuzco is the gateway to the Incas most sacred valley. Train rides and hot springs greet travelers as they make their way to Machu Pichu, the sacred destination of the Inca Trail.
DAY 8: Saturday, Oct 22 Piura to Cuzco
Breakfast served at hotel. Am flight departure from Piura to Cuzco. Please coordinate flights with CHOICE.
Check in to hotel before a leisurely afternoon exploring Cuzco, the 11,000 ft high former Inca capital. Home to the nearby Incan ruins of Sacsayhuaman, Cuzco offers colonial architecture, local markets, and breathtaking churches. Here, the group will begin its trek to Machu Pichu by first adjusting to the altitude while visiting key sites. Group dinner will be served.
DAY 9: Sunday, Oct 23 Cuzco to Sacred Valley to Aguas Calientes
Buffet breakfast served at hotel. 9 am departure to tour through the Sacred Valley en route to the base of Machu Pichu. Created by the powerful Rio Urubamba, this tranquil valley wanders between Pisac, famous for its local breads and market, and Ollantaytambo, home to the formidable 15th century Incan fortress. While only 18 miles long, the valley is home to some of the most sacred Incan sites of the empire. Buffett lunch will be served.
An evening train ride brings the group to Aguas Calientes, a small hub at the base of Machu Pichu. Transportation will be provided to hotel for overnight accommodations (shared Double Rooms). Filled with local markets and surrounded by the surrounding peaks, Aguas Calientes gets its name from the hot springs right in town. A group dinner will be provided.
DAY 10: Monday, Oct 24 Machu Pichu to Cuzco
Breakfast served at hotel. Group transportation will be provided in the morning to entrance of Machu Pichu. An early morning tour gives way to a misty scene that slowly reveals the high peaks and Incan ruins that make this one of the 7 Wonders of the World. A leisurely morning exploring the site includes visits to ancient houses, agricultural spaces, ceremonial structures and sacred temples.
A 4pm train and bus will take the group back to Cuzco hotel for overnight accommodations (shared Double Rooms). Personal time to shop and explore will be available before a final group dinner.
DAY 11: Tuesday, Oct 25 Cuzco to Lima to USA
- Breakfast served at hotel. Group transportation will be provided in the morning to the Cuzco airport. Participants will fly to Lima to connect to the return flight to the US.
$575 per person (airfare not included)
*rates include hotel accommodations, certified tour guides, train passes, site tickets, most meals, village meals, and transportation.