The National Parks Private Kenya Expedition
January 25 - February 1, 2020
Located just below Ethiopia on Africa's eastern coast, Kenya offers a diverse landscape of central plateaus, arid deserts, and coastal plains that stretch along the Indian Ocean. Each CHOICE expedition begins and ends with a village celebration of brilliant song and dance.
Registered as a local NGO, CHOICE Humanitarian utilizes its proven model of self-development to empower and mobilize rural villages across Kenya. Since its first expedition in 1993, CHOICE Kenya has impacted more than 70 villages, promoting positive change in the lives of over 370,000 native Kenyan villagers.
> Project & Community Details
> Expedition Leaders
> Expedition Fees
$2,850 per person
- A non-refundable deposit of $300 is due upon registration to confirm your place on the trip (counts towards total fee balance).
- Rates include hotel accommodations, certified group leaders, village lodging, village meals, and local transportation.
- International airfare not included in expedition fee.
> Optional Tours
Join us for a 2-day safari after the expedition! Rates include hotel accommodations, certified group leaders, select meals, tour fees, local transportation. Price is $700 per person.
> Flight Requirements
ARRIVAL: *Saturday, January 25* Arrive into Moi International Airport (MBA) in Mombasa by 5:00 PM (the earlier the better).
DEPARTURE: *Thursday, January 30* Transportation will be provided to Moi International Airport (MBA) in Mombasa for international flight departures at your desired time frame (later flights allow for additional touring in Mombasa).
It is typically more affordable to purchase a ticket to Nairobi and then purchase in-country flights separately from Mombasa to Nairobi.
Expedition + Safari
ARRIVAL: *Saturday, January 25* Moi International Airport (MBA) in Mombasa by 5:00 PM (the earlier the better).
DEPARTURE: *Saturday, February 1* Transportation will be provided to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi (NBO) for international flight departures after 6 PM (You will arrive in Nairobi from Safari around 3 or 4 PM).
If doing safari, a one way Mombasa to Nairobi ticket purchased separately is most affordable.
Be sure to check/purchase international flights as soon as possible. It is strongly recommended that all travelers arrive on the designated expedition start date and reserve personal travel for after scheduled activities.
CHOICE partners with CV Travel, a Humanitarian Travel subsidiary of Christopherson Business Travel. They have helped thousands of humanitarian travelers across the globe. For those looking to travel with fellow participants on pre-approved itineraries, please contact our trusted travel agent for this trip, or book your own ticket on one of the attached itinerary suggestions. CV Travel also provides affordable and comprehensive travel insurance as well as special humanitarian rates and provisions, such as extra baggage, etc…
> Trip Resources
> Next Steps
- Complete and submit your registration for all participants.
- Pay initial $300 deposit per/person to secure your spot
- Upload a copy of your passport
- Coordinate/book flight - Send us a copy as soon as this is booked.
- Secure Travel/Evacuation Insurance - Send in a copy and confirmation. You will find info regarding this on page 9-10 of the Expedition Manual.
- Attend trip orientation! This is usually held 6 - 8 weeks before the start of the expedition. Details to follow.
All materials and payments are due November 25, 2019 at the latest. All materials should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any questions, reach out to CHOICE Expeditions Program Specialist, Emily Wright (207) 432-8442.
Learn all about our work and history in Kenya HERE.